Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review: Batman: Harley & Ivy by Paul Dini, Judd Winick, Bruce Timm & Joe Chiodo

522597
Description: The sexy, madcap super-villain duo of Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy plan to take down Batman once and for all. But first, Harley has to convince Ivy that she has what it takes to be a villain in Gotham City! This volume features a 3-chapter story written by Paul Dini and illustrated by Bruce Timm, the award-winning producers of Batman: The Animated Series, plus a story by superstars talents Judd Winick and Joe Chiodo.

Stats: Superhero Graphic Novel, 136 pages, First Published by DC Comics, June 2004.

My Rating: 1 STAR







The first thing you notice about this book is just how captivating the art is. The cartoon-y style grabbed me and the colouring made every page beautiful. Even when those pages were the equivalent of a wet dream, you know what I'm talking about. The suggestive poses, the spandex, the panties, the cat-fights, the cat-fights in panties, the naked shower cat-fights. You know, everything you want when it comes to the two sexiest characters in the Batman lexicon, Ivy and Harley.

Honestly, I love these two characters, they can almost do no wrong in my eyes. In the writer's and artist's eyes however, they can do a lot of wrong. (wink)

But you see, although I'm a girl who can appreciate other girls, I am also someone who loves strong female characters. This book however is not about strength or even strength in sexuality. Nope! This is about panties. That's it. No undertones, no story, just Harley and Ivy in various situations where they can disrobe. Batgirl even makes a brief appearance and gives us a great panel: knees together, ass up.

The terrible thing is, I could have really enjoyed reading an actual story about Ivy and Harley. I'm fine with sexy women, and I'm especially okay with my villains and heroes being sexy, BUT I draw the line between sexy and objectification, between sexy and substanceless. This is not how you treat women as complex and interesting as Ivy and Harley. They deserve better and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment